We thaw water and septic lines!!
Magic Carpet thaws pipe throughout the entire Southern Maine area including South Portland, Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough, Saco, Falmouth, Cumberland, and Biddeford. Our technicians will bore through the ice with our truck mounted 230 degree water.
Questions that we need to know beforehand are:
• Is this fresh water or sewer water?
• How close is the sewer line to the house?
• You will need to call Portland Water District and have them turn off the water. We will have them on-call so they can turn the water back on when we are finished.
• If well water – Have you shut the pump off? Can we have access to it?
Sometimes there is a freeze up located beyond an elbow. We will work in conjunction with a plumber to thaw out the pipe.
How To Prevent Your Septic System From Freezing: Click Here
What Causes Frozen Pipes?
The water inside pipes can freeze when outdoor temperatures drop below freezing. As freezing water expands, it causes the pressure inside the pipes to increase, possibly leading to bursting pipes.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
- Insulate pipes, especially those close to outside walls, attics or crawl spaces where the chance of freezing is greatest
- Seal air leaks surrounding or near pipes
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses and turn off water to exterior faucets and sprinkler systems
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing
- Keep heat at 55 degrees F. or higher even when you are out of town
- During a cold spell turn on both hot and cold faucets near outside walls to allow a small trickle of water to run during the night
- If you need to be away from home, leave the heat on and drain your water system before you go
- Identify the locations of shutoff valves so that you are prepared to stop the flow of water as soon as possible when a pipe bursts
What to Do When Pipes Freeze or Burst
If pipes freeze:
- Remove insulation and wrap pipes in rags
- If all else fails, call Magic Carpet Cleaning & Restoration
- Shut off the water immediately to prevent additional damage
- Take proper precautions to avoid an electrical shock from being in or near standing water
- Take an inventory of any damaged property or possessions